Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Keys to Success

(As you may have noticed, my posts are kind of spread out. I posted these first few posts all at once, but I composed them over time as the desire struck. I wanted to have all my background posts up before I got into some of my current activities.)

The lack of initial success was very disappointing to me. I tend to be demanding of myself, so instead of appreciating my new found ability to induce trance, I scoured all the resources I could find to better understand the process. My breakthrough came in confidently setting expectations with the subject over a few days before the trance, combined with the discovery of a four helpful deepening tricks.

In my initial trials, I was still learning what was possible or not. You read lots of things on the Internet, but it's hard to tell what is true, and what is wishful thinking (I'm still waiting to meet the person who changed their gender through hypnosis). I did find some very valuable information, based on works from Freud, as well as studies of the works of Mesmer through Erickson. I also found a very radical theory from an Ivy League psychologist that I'm still trying to completely implement, but helped me greatly.

In addition to these sites, I found good examples of the exact things I was trying to do in a couple of other blogs and sites. These are all listed on my links section.

Based on my new information, I took any opportunity over the next few days to explain to my subject how the trance worked. I strongly tied it to the idea of id and ego from Freud, since she already understood these. I also explained how she had to work to get deeper, but that just like a path in the woods, each time you walk it, it becomes easier and clearer. I also developed a new theory of submission, that the conscious and subconscious can submit separately. This became very helpful, as you'll see shortly. I did this based on the theory of "demand characteristics", that the subject will exhibit the traits that the hypnotist expects. I won't get into the psychological studies of this, but I found some references to work in the 40's and 50's.

The next time I brought her into a trance, this was the knowledge she used as the basis for her trance. By better framing what the trance would be, I believe her subconscious would create the trance as I wanted it to be, and would better be able to plant triggers and suggestions for when she was awake.

Once she was in trance, I used four new deepening tricks. First, and most simply, I became must more authoritative in my speech during the entire process. My initial scripts were more based on the idea of guiding a subject, this time I became more commanding, especially by using the phrases "obedient", "unable to resist", etc. Second, I gave her a visualized gauge that she would be asked to check periodically to report on how deep she was in trance. As she saw herself deeper, it made the authoritative commands stronger. Third, I gave her a mechanism for deepening her trance. Instead of using only passive visualizations, like a ride down an escalator, I gave her a large knob she could turn, and each turn would bring her deeper into trance. This active visualization definitely worked much better. Lastly, I "separated" her conscious and subconscious minds. I had her visualize her conscious mind in a room she normally enjoys, then had her subconscious step through a doorway and locked her conscious mind in the room. This visualization helped her focus completely on the trance.

Using the above techniques now on an ongoing basis, I've now worked successfully with a few subjects. In my next post, I'll get into some of the triggers, commands, and changes I've been able to make.

No comments: